Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Saving the contents of the TCP follow dialog without formatti

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:34:14 +0200
Alan Jenkins (by way of Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:

As far as I can tell, there is no way at the moment to save the raw contents
of a TCP stream.
That sounds like a reasonable feature.

If you save it as ASCII, linebreaks get added, which
corrupts binary data.  I would like to have an option to save the TCP stream
with no formatting whatsoever.
I would have thought that ASCII output would save as raw binary (and do no additional byte changes), but I didn't worked with this export function much.

Maybe this is simply a bug (wrong flags when opening the output file?), or maybe that's intentional (I just don't know).

This should be easy to do, but the devil is in the UI.  My suggestion would
be a second "Save As" button, with a caption like "Save Raw".  The tooltips
should be able to provide enough information to prevent confusion.  I like
the idea of a multifunctional button, with formated save the default action,
and raw save a secondary action available with a
If the current behaviour *is* intentional, you might consider adding a new format option (radio button) rather than add an additional save button?

I would think this would be more intuitive, as this is what you really need here and makes more sense IMHO.

I have plenty of time at the moment,
Your a lucky one :-)

so I could have a go at this myself, but
I don't know the first thing about GTK - sorry.  IMO this is a small enough
and useful enough feature request to warrant attention - but if nobody's
interested I'll have a go.
Well, we should first think about, if the current ASCII save thing is a bug or a feature...

Regards, ULFL