Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Saving the contents of the TCP follow dialog without formatti

From: Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:07:12 +0000
> >If you save it as ASCII, linebreaks get added, which
> >corrupts binary data.

I've rechecked this, and my assumption that it was linebreaks was incorrect -
instead its that non printing characters are converted to periods (.).
To test this, save a stream to a file (using the ASCII option), and compare
the output of "od -t xz stream_save_file" with the hex dump in the dialog.

> If the current behaviour *is* intentional, you might consider adding a
> new format option (radio button) rather than add an additional save button?

It's necessary to save the stream as formatted if you want to be able to save
a hex dump, so I don't think this is a bug - although personally I would
prefer the save button ignored the formatting selected, so I could generate
the hex dump from the raw data file.

The extra radio button sounds like a good idea... and funnily enough, I reckon
it would be the easy enough for yours truly to implement.  Hopefully the text
widget we're using can take that sort of punishment (raw binary data).  I'll
get working on a patch then, unless people think that the behaviour of the
"Save As" button should be changed.

Alan