Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add PDML output to ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:46:10 +0200
Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

On Thursday 15 April 2004 10:54, Biot Olivier wrote:
Hi list,

Today we can only produce PDML output in tethereal (with the -Tpdml
command-line option). I guess it is not that complicated to add support for
PDML output in Ethereal, unless I ignore the consequences of packet
reassembly?

No, it would not be difficult. SInce PDML output is implemented as a print output style, the easiest and most straight-forward approach would be to add this option to the print dialogue.
When implementing it as an option into the print dialog, this would be easy to implement and it might be a quick hack to help.

However, I wonder if that's not the best UI decision... do users expect PDML output to be selected from "File | Save As" ? Of course, they serve different purposes... saving as a different file format saves just the packet data, not the dissection, whereas the printing function prints the packet dissection.
Well, as described in my last mail, "File/Export/PDML" or "File/Save As" would be ok IMHO.

Putting it into the print dialog is *not* obvious for an export function.

Regards, ULFL