Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] About the reported compile problems and autotools

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:54:15 +0100
From: Joerg Mayer

|On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:24:12PM -0600, Gerald Combs wrote:
|> Subversion recently went to version 1.0.  Can anyone comment on its
|> stability, usability, and suitability as a replacement for our
current
|> CVS environment?
|
|I thought about this myself, but decided against it (and thus didn't
|mail :) for the following reason and without ever testing it:
|Are there subversion clients available on all platforms? How easy is
|it to obtain a client? I read something that the Win32 client may be
|slow (or was that another cvs replacement project?)
|
|Other opinions welcome :)

I went to the SubVersion web site, and found:
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html.
Momentarily you still have to wait for the 1.0 binaries to be created
and offered to the public, but precompiled binaries should be
available for MacOSX, RedHat Linux, Debian Linux, SuSE Linux, FreeBSD,
and Win32. There's also a pkgsrc from *BSD which also supports
Solaris.

Anyway, before we decide to move to SubVersion, we may want to do some
tests with a test repository to see if everything works fine.

FYI if you want to build SVN you need Berkeley Sleepycat DB 4.1 or
later, and some Apache libraries. The INSTALL file in the top level
directory of subversion-1.0.0 provides sufficient input for compiling
SVN. It is also built with ./configure etc.

I'll post my compilation story later on :)

Regards,

Olivier