Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] About the reported compile problems and autotools

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:12:52 -0000
On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:06, Biot Olivier wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> If I understand the situation correctly, then:
>
> * When we started part 1 of moving dissection into libethereal, the common
> autotools don't work anymore.
> * Reason is that we compile in "ethereal/epan" and the sources are in "..".
> * If we move the dissection code into "ethereal/epan" (e.g., in a "dissect"
> subdirectory), the new autotools are no longer required.
>
> If the last item is correct, we may want to move the dissectors to a
> subdirectory of epan (e.g., dissect) as soon as possible. This would remove
> the requirement on the need for using the recent autotools.
>
> I am aware of potential loss of versioning history when moving files in CVS,
> but many workarounds seem to exist.
> The CVS manual helps (relevant section: 7; more specifically 7.4)
> http://ftp.cvshome.org/release/stable/cvs-1.11.13/cederqvist-1.11.13.pdf
>
> If we want to preserve version history, we must use "-r <rev>" to add the
> desired revision number to the file, otherwise revisions start again at 1.1.
> We also must prevent other people checking in files at the time of moving
> the files.

I'd vote for not trying to manually move the ",v" files and just live
with the inadequacies of CVS. Perhaps in the future we can move to some
other tool (bitkeeper, subversion, etc.) I'd also vote for accepting the
new revision number of 1.1 so it's easier to know that the file was
recently moved.

--gilbert