Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Help with .syc file

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:10:01 -0800
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:37:36AM -0800, Barson, Aryeh wrote:
> I have a .syc file captured directly off of a Paradyne iMarc CSU/DSU.
> The file is supposed to be a trace of LMI status of connections
> configured on the unit. Paradyne states that the file should be readable
> with a Data General Sniffer, but I've yet to find such a product.

The person at Paradyne who said that needs to learn that "Network" and
"Data" are different words. :-)

After that, they need to learn that Network General merged with McAfee
Associates to form McAfee General...

...sorry, that should be "merged with McAfee Associates to form Network
Associates".

Network Associates still sells the Sniffer softwre - but it's not cheap,
as far as I know.  See

	http://www.networkassociates.com/us/products/sniffer/mgmt_analysis/category.htm

It's Windows-only.  (The ".syc" format is probably the format for the
old DOS-based Sniffers; the new Windows Sniffers use a different file
format, but should still be able to read the old format.)

> None of the various filter formats seem to work.

"Filter formats"?

So I assume, as you're asking the Ethereal lists, that there's some
problem you see when you try to read the file with Ethereal.  What is
the precise problem you're seeing?