Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Mission to ASN.1 ethereal dissector generator

From: Tomáš Kukosa <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:52:33 +0200
Cituji z emailu od John Bourke <john.bourke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Myself and some others have some time now to knock this ASN.1->Dissector on
> the head.  We need to get it finished by November.

Do you mean
ASN.1 -> BER Dissector (asn1.c decoding functions in the Ethereal)
or
ASN.1 -> PER Dissector (packet-per.c decoding functions in the Ethereal)?

> So far I can see three options
>
> 1. Gerald's Python work

What is it? I did not remark it.
BTW: What is the easiest way how to read ASN.1 source into Python?

> 2. III-ASN-Parser
> 3. SNACC (the recent one)
>
> I'd like to specifically produce a Dissector generator, rather than a C
> code
> generator.  Also I'd like to be able to register display filters against
> parts of the code.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion ?

I would prefer Python (or Perl) dissector generator as it is more flexible than C.

 Regards,
   Tom