Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Mission to ASN.1 ethereal dissector generator

From: Andreas Sikkema <ramdyne@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:34:56 +0200
John Bourke wrote:

> I'd like to specifically produce a Dissector generator, rather than a C code
> generator.  Also I'd like to be able to register display filters against
> parts of the code.

I have a working ASN.1 to dissector code. Unfortunately it is based on
OpenH323's PWLib, so MPL and it also generates code for PWlib based
dissectors (such as the H.323 plugin).

But

I think it is possible to use the code to generate a dissector with it
which is workeable and fairly quickly. No need to figure out where to
create things in various arrays, because I already did that once. The
only thing which would be really needed is to remove all traces of
pwlib from the generated code and introduce the new packet-per
interface. If necessary the asn1.c code could aso be introduced.

--
Andreas Sikkema