Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Mission to ASN.1 ethereal dissector generator

From: Richard Urwin <>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:36:22 +0100
On Thursday 25 Sep 2003 11:22 pm, John Bourke wrote:
> Myself and some others have some time now to knock this ASN.1->Dissector on
> the head.  We need to get it finished by November.
> I'd like to specifically produce a Dissector generator, rather than a C
> code generator.  Also I'd like to be able to register display filters
> against parts of the code.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion ?

Only that it should work with any base protocol; ethernet, IP, TCP etc. I have
the impression that ASN.1 is used for certain high level stuff which I don't
understand. But I might certainly find it useful for lower level protocols. I
would have found it very useful if it was available back in version 8 when I
wrote my Ethernet II bespoke plugin.

--
Richard Urwin