Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Number of capture interfaces

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:52:01 -0700

On Sep 23, 2003, at 12:01 AM, Miha Jemec wrote:

Thanks for the response. I looked the output of the ifconfig command and those interfaces are up but lack of IP address. But is this behaviour OK
since you can still capture on those interfaces?

Ethereal *should* display them, but, to do so, the "get the list of interfaces" code would get more complicated.

Libpcap 0.7 and later have a routine that returns a list of interfaces, and it already has that extra stuff for Linux in it; at some point we should probably have Ethereal use that API if available (that'd probably be done at configure and compile time on UNIX; it's a bit more of a pain on Windows, as we'd want to do it at run time, so that Ethereal works with WinPcap 2.x, which lacks the API, and 3.x, which has it - that'd mean the Windows build of Ethereal would have to be compiled with 3.x, so that the appropriate data structures are defined in its header files).