Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Number of capture interfaces

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:46:31 -0700

On Sep 22, 2003, at 3:42 AM, Miha Jemec wrote:

When trying to select an interface from the drop down list in the
capture options window I only get 13 interfaces listed (from eth0 till
eth12) although there are 21 installed (I have 5 D-link cards with 4
ethernet ports each plus onboard interface). Ifconfig shows me all 21
interfaces and the capturing also works if I insert them manually.

Why are there some missing in the drop down list?

If I correctly infer from "eth0 till eth12" that this is Linux (although there also exists a certain BSD-based OS whose Ethernet interfaces have names beginning with "eth", but I doubt you have a heavily-loaded PowerMac or XServe :-)), the problem might be that those interfaces lack IP addresses and thus might not show up with an SIOCGIFCONF ioctl, which is what Ethereal uses to get the list of interfaces.