Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefore every release

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:18:25 -0500 (CDT)
The description below is pretty much on the mark.  I try to get a release
out the door every 4 to 6 weeks.  The current release process is informal,
but consistent.  An announcement will be made a few days ahead of time on
ethereal-dev, so that developers can let me know if the release needs to
be postponed, and in some cases so that committers know to hold off on
checking in unstable code.  During the release I go through a checklist
that includes a "make distcheck", interactive testing on Windows, Linux,
and Solaris, and scripted runs on Linux.

Outside of the release cycle a script constantly runs on a Solaris/SPARC
machine that runs distcheck tests, runs tethereal against a capture file
collection, and feeds the output of randpkt to tethereal.  I would very
much like to expand this to more architectures, integrating with something
like Tinderbox.

It's probably time to formalize the release process a bit more.  We could
create a new branch for each release, as others have suggested.  This
would let us test the code more extensively before letting it loose on the
world.  At our current release rate, this would mean about 8 to 10 new
branches each year.  Is this too much?