Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefore every release

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:28:18 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Naveen Kumar Kaushik"
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefore
every release

There is no specific date when releases are made.  There is no release
schedule.

I dont know how or why or when releases are made, i belive they are
spontaneous.
Based on observation I would say that releases are triggered by either
Gerald spontaneously mailing the
mailing list saying something like "Its been a while since the last release
now. I think I am going to do a new one on Sunday.
Everyone, get all your pending changes in or tell me and I will hold it
off".
An alternative  way a release might be triggered (also based on observation)
is that someone, anyone, mails any of the lists
stating "Hey list, can someone do a new release soon so I can start using
new features x,y,z?" This then often triggers Gerald
to respond "Ok, you are right. Ill try to do a new release on Wednesday next
week."

Thus there is no date when releases are planned. Since releases are never
planned they happen spontaneously.

Observation suggests that a new release is done approximately once every 4-6
weeks or so.
Slightly less frequently during the southern winter.

When Gerald decides it is time for a new release in a couple of days time/a
weeks time he sends a post to the developer mailing
list stating  "I will try to do a new release in the beginning of next
week".
This tells the others of us that a new release is due sometime around Monday
next week.
There is no "code freeze" period never has been and never will be one.

I belive, but am not sure since I am not Gerald, that when it is time for a
new release,
Gerald just does a complete CVS checkout of whatever is the current code and
calls whatever is checked out the new release.
That is what i would do.

This is background and may not be relevant.

Suggestion:
Please keep track of when Gerald posts his next mail to the developer list
stating that "in x days there might be a new release"
then do a cvs checkout of ethereal and compile and test.
Then every day until the new release is out, just do a cvs update and test
that compiling ethereal works.
If you find that there are problems compiling ethereal just a day before
Gerald said he was gonna do a cvs checkout and release that as x.y.z
then you just have to mail the developer list saying : "Hey guys, can you
hold off the release a day or so until I have fixed the problem with
compiling ethereal on platform W"