Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Patches to make Ethereal 0.9.15 compile with MVC

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:32:11 +0100

> > > Did you also integrate the SDK with your VC installation?
> >
> > Yes, but running VCVARS32.BAT sorts things out for ethereal, as
> mentioned
> > in
> > win32-README.txt
>
> README.win32 states:
> "When installing MSVC++, you can have your
> system's environment set up to always allow compiling from the
> command line, or you can invoke the vcvars32.bat script"

So much for me reading the text properly.  Maybe this should be changed so
that it states vcvars32.bat should be run.

> So someone can think it is not necessary to run this batch file.
> If you try to link ethereal without running vcvars32.bat first does that
> work in your environment? If not, maybe it is better to apply my patch
> and be independent of running this batch file?

Your patch changes the c runtime library used from the statically linked
libc.lib, to the dynamically linked msvcrt.lib which is contained in
msvcrt.dll.  This requires that we either:

a) Assume that all users systems contain this dll (I have no idea if this is
the case, though I suspect it is).

b) Distribute this dll with ethereal (I'm not sure if this is legal, and may
cause "DLL hell" if we did).

Running vcars32.bat removes the problem anyway.

> > <SNIP>

> for
> > > use
> >

> > > Can we distribute these files in this format? Or does Winzip do the
> > > conversion for you so that they are always in DOS format?
> >
> > Further checking shows that the CVS versions are in fact DOS
> formatted,
> > and
> > my version of the cygwin tools eats them quite happily.  Is this
> related
> > a local environment setting in Cygwin for line endings ?
> >

> I remember there was an option in the installer. I don't know what I
> selected. I don't know how I can change this behavior afterwards. Do you
> know?

Is it the mount options for the file system ?

> > > Because the default COMMON_FILES_GNU contains a space (e.g. \Program
> > > Files\) you are passing more arguments without the quotes.
> > >

> > Agreed
>
> So maybe we should also add these quotes around $(NET_SNMP_DIR)?
> (/DNET_SNMP_DIR="$(NET_SNMP_DIR)"). Maybe someone has a space in that
> path too.

Should be OK, but no-one has complained yet.

Graham Bloice