Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefor e every releas

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:24:56 -0500
This sounds like the stable/unstable release pattern that is common
to many open source project. I like the idea but I wonder about the
implimentation. Will we have to branch the CVS tree to support this?
Does "release" branch would only get bug fixes while the "main"
branch continues with development of new features? I don't know
enough about CVS to determine if this is a viable option and how
much work it would take to create and maintain.

Jeff Foster
jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Adventurous
> (or impatient) developers can check that it compiles on their system.  If
no
> one complains after a week that becomes the 0.9.X tarball.  If there are
> problems with the unblessed version fix them and repeat the process.
>
> Aside from simplicity this seems like the right solution since I think the
> complaints are about the tarball (rather than source from CVS) not
working.
> Besides since (as you point out) not all the same tools are required for a
> tarball build as for a CVS build we could implement some elaborate freeze
> process and still have the tarball not work.

***
The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return e-mail, delete this email, and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
****