Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] decode as SNMP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:46:16 -0700

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 6:39 AM, S. Faizi wrote:

OK, I think I understand your point now. UDP will present a complete pdu to snmp. TCP is stream oriented, so some mechanism to demarcate the pdu needs
to be implemented.

The beginning of an SNMP PDU contains the length of the message (it's a SEQUENCE, I think), so that could be used to determine how many bytes of the TCP stream are in the PDU. The LDAP dissector is similar.