Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New feature to Find. Search all PD structures for ASCII or HE

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:58:32 -0700

On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 11:41 AM, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

Instead of two check boxes, maybe use a radio button group that also as
"display filter" in it, so that the user can be certain whether to type
a display filter, a hex sequence, or an ascii sequence. Hmm. You could
add EBCDIC so that users could search for text in SNA packets. I need to
add something to the dfilter syntax to allow for that too.

How about "text sequence" rather than "ASCII sequence", with a combo box/option menu to let you select EBCDIC, ASCII, UCS-2 (i.e., raw Unicode - big-endian or little-endian; should the user specify that, or should it try both endiannesses?), UTF-8, and possibly various other character sets (ISO 8859/n for various values of "n", various EUC codes, various JIS codes, etc., etc., etc.). We don't have to implement all of those in the first version.