Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New feature to Find. Search all PD structures for ASCII or HE

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:42:36 -0000
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:13, Greg Morris wrote:
> Please consider this new addition. Many times I have been asked why
> Ethereal cannot search the hex data for a pattern of characters or hex
> values. I spent a little time adding this new functionality.
>
> Attached is an rtf document showing this new capability.
>
> Also attached are the diffs.

Neat. BTW, I'm also adding this functionality, but to the display filter
syntax, so in the future one would be able to do this:

frame contains "gmorris_nts_client"

or

frame contains ff:ff:ff:ff:b0;fa

I'm currently re-working my patch after I received some good ideas from
ethereal-dev.

Instead of two check boxes, maybe use a radio button group that also as
"display filter" in it, so that the user can be certain whether to type
a display filter, a hex sequence, or an ascii sequence. Hmm. You could
add EBCDIC so that users could search for text in SNA packets. I need to
add something to the dfilter syntax to allow for that too.

--gilbert