Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] H245 dissector

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:38:39 +0200
Hello all,

Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
Hi telco people

I think the alternative dissector for H245 is making very good progress now
and will be considering to check it in properly into ethereal during the
weekend, unless someone has any reservations.

I would say this is OK for Linux-World as there is no official h323-plugin. We should wait with that on Windows till we have a complete replacement for the existing h323-plugin. People will complain, when they cannot use the old plugin, which will collide with the new build-in h245-dissector, and not having the possibility to decode h225-traffic.

However, it should not be so difficult to create the h225, h235 and h450-part. When you break out the asn1 per stuff, I can start with h225. The output doesn't differ so much from the output of andreas' plugin, if you don't display the internal PER-decodings.

Although I have created a small-plugin for testing reasons, I don't like to have a mixed version as a released solution. To make people happy, I propose to release version 0.9.14 on Windows only with a nearly complete built-in h323 decoder, or without the h245-dissector, so it still can use the old-plugin. Once ethereal is released with the new h225 and h245 dissectors, we should include a big note in the release announcement , that it won't be able to use the h323-plugin anymore.

Best Regards,

Lars