Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal hangs after stop capture - already turned off the "E

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 15:06:56 +0100
On Sunday 06 Jul 2003 11:54 am, Lars Roland wrote:
> Hello Alejandro,
>
> You have probably the same problem I had 2 weeks ago. Does a hanging
> ethereal come back to life, when you quit ZoneAlarm?
> The problem does not occur when loading small captures like the
> samples from Ethereal website. In my experience it only occures when
> dissecting needs more than 3 seconds (when the main-window is
> updated). However I can not analyze the problem, because it is gone,
> and I don't know why. I still have a version of ethereal in my local
> archive, that triggered the problem, but something outside Ethereal
> changed.
>
> I believe the problem is connected to ZoneAlarm and it also connected
> to the use of the ADNS-library in Ethereal.
>
> what does ZoneAlarm say and log about ethereal?
> what version of ZoneAlarm do you use? (I have version 3.1.395)
> > ONce I stop the capture, Ethereal go to access internet (I
> > can see with zone alarm) and then it hang. I have tried leaving
> > Ethereal to access internet or not but in both cases I got same
> > issue. Once it hangs I was not able to kill it using the task
> > manager and I have to restart the PC.

This isn't the FAQ problem, that problem should have gone away in 0.9.13
because the native GetHostByAddress call was changed to use ADNS which
does not suffer the same problem. You could try using 0.9.12, which
will have the net name resolution problem, but will get you going if it
is ADNS that is causing the problem.

Since ADNS is a library in user-space, you should be able to stop the
task with TaskManager. Not being able to do this says to me that it is
something hooked into the OS that is failing, and ZoneAlarm fits that
bill.

--
Richard Urwin