Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal hangs after stop capture - already turned off the "E

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:54:35 +0200
Hello Alejandro,

You have probably the same problem I had 2 weeks ago. Does a hanging ethereal come back to life, when you quit ZoneAlarm? The problem does not occur when loading small captures like the samples from Ethereal website. In my experience it only occures when dissecting needs more than 3 seconds (when the main-window is updated). However I can not analyze the problem, because it is gone, and I don't know why. I still have a version of ethereal in my local archive, that triggered the problem, but something outside Ethereal changed.

I believe the problem is connected to ZoneAlarm and it also connected to the use of the ADNS-library in Ethereal.

what does ZoneAlarm say and log about ethereal?
what version of ZoneAlarm do you use? (I have version 3.1.395)

I am tryiung to go deeper in protocols understanding and I think it is a
very good software for that.
I just installed winpcap 3.0 and ethereal 0.9.13a in a Win XP machine. No
issues during installation however when I try to run it Iam getting some
issues that I was not able to fix.
I stared a capture and everything looks fine until I stop the capture. ONce
I stop the capture, Ethereal go to access internet (I can see with zone
alarm) and then it hang. I have tried leaving Ethereal to access internet or
not but in both cases I got same issue. Once it hangs I was not able to kill
it using the task manager and I have to restart the PC.
I went to the directory suppose to have the capture and the file is created
but if I try to open it I get same issue than before. Then I donwloaded an
example capture from your site and I can open it without any issues.
Rweading the FAQs I also make sure to do the captures turning OFF net name
resolution but I got same issue.

do you have any suggestion to solve it?

thanks
Alejandro