Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] H.245 requesting help

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:35:20 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris"
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] H.245 requesting help

> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 12:50:34PM +0200, andreas.sikkema@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> > My own goal is to create a real Ethereal ASN compiler, but that might
> > take some while.
>
> A compiler to generate dissectors from ASN.1 would probably be useful.
> (Arguably, so might compilers to generate dissectors from rpcgen
> language for ONC RPC and the IDL for DCE RPC.)

It would be nice if such a compiler could be integrated into ethereal so
that
dissectors(including hf_fields)  could be generated on the fly based on
availability
of a MIB.
It should also be possible for very popular MIBs to be able to generate a c
dissector that can be handtuned
and be manually enhanced with whatever popular features one would want that
can not be expressed in
a MIB file.
The dissector should be able to distinguish automatically between those MIBs
that are "builtin" and those that need
to be runtime generated from a MIB.

When it comes to ONC-RPC and DCE/RPC   the situations is imho very
different.

For ONC-RPC I belive that ethereal already has full and complete support for
all interesting
ONC-RPC based protocols.
Afaik, nothing really remains in the field of ONC-RPC. It is complete.

DCE-RPC is a different story.
While there are a whole bunch of DCE interfaces we currently do not dissect,
none of the really interesting ones
have IDL files available anyway.  (e.g. all these new DCE interfaces used by
AD controllers when they
synchronize the AD between eachoter,  AD backup etc etc)