Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [tcpdump-workers] FYI: tcpdump with Endace DAG cards

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Jesper Peterson wrote:

> Endace (http://www.endace.com) has ported tcpdump to receive packets
> from our DAG line of network measurement cards via a patched version of
> libpcap. We have made the original source for tcpdump, the patched
> libpcap, build instructions and pre-built binary tarballs for Debian
> Linux available for download at (http://www.endace.com/libpcap.htm and
> http://www.endace.com/tcpdump.htm). If you have any objections,
> suggestions or comments please let us know.

This is great. I will be interested in looking at it.

Having gone through the process of conforming to the GPL recently,
however, I have a question. This is more directed at helping you to
understand the requirements of the GPL than anything else,

Are you shipping this modified version of Ethereal with your hardware
product?

If so, are you shipping the modified source with the product as well? If
so, then I believe that you are in full conformance with the GPL.

However, if not, and you might already be aware of this, but you need to
provide a prominent notice with the product about the source code. We are
doing that in the documentation.

Regards
-----