Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] compile problem by using VC++

From: Jason House <jhouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:03:11 -0500
Well, long ago, I wrote an e-mail about my dislike of the win32
instructions on the website.  I couldn't find it in the archive, so I've
included a text copy from my sent folder.

check out the files in
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/development as well as its
subdirectory "old" ... you should find just about everything you need.

Does using all those versions fix your issues or is it something new?
VC++ when told to use the Makefile.nmake will do C compilation... VC++
specifically should not hinder your ability to compile the code.

Any specifics that you can provide about your problem will help us
describe what might be going wrong for you.

I think that it would wise to update the requirements for compilation
section to have more specific instructions for win32
Out of the items listed, here's what causes for problems on win32:

gtk/gdk - if taken from standard web site, directory structure
  is incorrect and lacks gnu-intl.dll.
glib - if taken from standard web site, version (2.0) is incompatible
zlib - ethereal would not compile without minor patch, won't run
  properly without ethereal-specific version
net-snmp - compiled ok for me, but hit linker issues

bottom line is that they all require ethereal specific versions from
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/development/ or
http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/development/old/
(why are some required items in old?)

There is only one remaining requirement for compiling: winpcap
This has a whole paragraph specialized for win32
(and also has and ethereal mirror for it)

All in all, it seems like it would probably be best to either gather
up all win32 specific instructions, or to add some small win32 specific
tidbit to the 4 items initially listed...  Currently the only link to
where most of this stuff hides is via the binary distribution section
(where then you must follow the development link)