Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem building on win32

From: Jason House <jhouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:50:43 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:35:14AM -0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
> > According to Source Navigator (and windows find) the only ?? places
> > including winsock.h are Packet32.h and BPF.h in WinPCap,
>
> Unfortunately, one or both of those are included by pcap.h, and we have
> to include pcap.h in all files that use libpcap.
> ...several files *HAVE* to have winsock2.h included in them

if inclusion of pcap.h causes a problem, then I would recommend that
there should be a simple wrapper file... the contents being similar to
the following:

#ifndef _PCAP_WRAPPER
#  define _PCAP_WRAPPER
#  ifdef HAVE_PCAP_H
#    ifdef HAVE_WINSOCK2_H
#      include <winsock2.h>
#    endif
#    include "pcap.h"
#  endif
#endif

In some ways, I don't like wrappers, but when you're dealing with
somebone else's library, it can make life a bit easier...

Joerg Mayer wrote:
> by ifndef XXX define XXX includefile endif. If things are the same with
> real windows, shouldn't the problem be solvable by reordering the includes?

That is the way to get around it on my copy of real (2k) windows... I
assume the various windows flavors work similarly...
Rather than swap the order, the easiest approach would be to simply try
to include winsock2.h before winsock.h and let the #ifndef in winsock2.h
stop it from being included again... this is especially true when the
inclusion of winsock2.h is included in a header file that might be
included through different methods.  If it is in a c file, the inclusion
of winsock2.h could potentially be removed...