Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem building on win32

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:24:13 -0800
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:36:08PM -0000, Richard Urwin wrote:
> This sort of stuff has been fixed once:
> http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200210/msg00190.html
>
> Can we fix it before the next release?

Sure, if somebody figures out what the cause is.  Whether we can
determine the cause before the next release is another matter.

In the message you site, the cause was known, as Jason House indicated
that zlib.h included winsock.h.

In this case, however, nobody's yet indicated *what* file is including
winsock.h; it could conceivably be one of the SNMP headers, as was
suggested, although

	1) no header file in the Ethereal source itself includes
	   any SNMP header;

	2) gtk/capture_dlg.c, one file that had the problem, doesn't
	   include any SNMP header;

so it can't *solely* be blamed on an SNMP header.

Last time I tried building at home, it worked, so it may be a function
of which particular header files are being used.  (I don't know whether
MSVC++ is picking up Platform SDK or MSVC++ header files; in any case, I
have an old version of the Platform SDK, as at some point Microsoft
either removed, or made it hard to find, the way to selectively install
stuff from the Platform SDK, so I couldn't manage to get only those
pieces that actually fit on the NT partition on my main disk drive
installed, and I haven't had time to look into using the other disk.)