Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] building with ucd-snmp v4.01

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:48:30 -0800
> I'm sorely tempted, however, to say "to hell with UCD and CMU SNMP, all
> I want is a library to parse MIB files", and see if I can get my
> UCD-and-CMU-SNMP-free SNMP dissector to use "libsmi":

Well, I haven't done that yet.

*However*, it turns out that it's not too painful to work around the
fact that UCD SNMP's data type of an OID's subid and CMU SNMP's data
type for it differ, so I've checked in my SNMP dissector, which uses UCD
or CMU SNMP *ONLY* to convert OIDs to strings.

*Perhaps* this will obviate the need to link with "-lkstat" if you're
linking with UCD SNMP, as it *might* mean we drag in fewer routines from
the UCD SNMP library, and thus *might* avoid dragging in the routines
that care about "-lkstat".  (On the other hand, if the UCD SNMP library
is a shared library, and isn't *itself* linked with "-lkstat", it may
not work - or if dragging in *anything* drags in the code that calls
"-lkstat" stuff.)

It doesn't bring us out of SNMP Hell, but at least we move out of the
innermost circle....

(I still have to check that it works with CMU SNMP, which I'll do
tomorrow at work; it seems to build with the UCD SNMP 4.0.1 I have
installed on my FreeBSD partition at home.)