Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] building with ucd-snmp v4.01

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:39:36 -0800
> When I use make to install ucd-snmp, the include files get copied to
> /usr/local/include/ucd-snmp, and libsnmp.a gets installed in /usr/local/lib.
>
> I've tried several variants on the "--with-ucd-snmp=" to get configure
> to build a proper Makefile without success.  It appears that the configure
> script specifically checks to make sure that the current directory being
> checked is NOT /usr/local (see line 237 of acinclude.m4).

That's because "configure.in" should be forcing "/usr/local/include" and
"/usr/local/lib" to be in CFLAGS and LIBS, so an additional
"/usr/local/include" or "/usr/local/lib" shouldn't be necessary.

Does it not simply find the relevant include files and libraries if you
run "configure" *without* any "--with-ucd-snmp"?

> ucd-snmp also wants to be linked with libkstat on solaris,

Well, that's annoying - does UCD SNMP labor under the delusion that the
only thing ever linked with it is an SNMP agent that has to use
"-lkstat" to dredge information out of the kernel?  Sigh....

> and I don't see any reference to libkstat in the configure script
> files.

That's probably because you're the first person to try using Ethereal
and UCD SNMP on Solaris (I didn't bother installing SNMP on the Solaris
partition on my home machine, and we have CMU SNMP installed at work).

I guess we could put something into "acinclude.m4" or "configure.in" to
add "-lkstat" if

	1) it's UCD SNMP

and

	2) it's SunOS 5.x.

I'm sorely tempted, however, to say "to hell with UCD and CMU SNMP, all
I want is a library to parse MIB files", and see if I can get my
UCD-and-CMU-SNMP-free SNMP dissector to use "libsmi":

	http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/

to get the MIB information - it's "a library to access SMI MIB
information", which is all I want, it's not an all-singing-all-dancing
SNMP library with tons of stuff that we don't need (code to decode SNMP
packets, code to call "-lkstat" routines to fetch statistics, etc. from
the kernel).

This would probably mean that

	1) you could get SNMP packets dissected without "libsmi", you'd
	   just get OIDs displayed only numerically;

	2) you'd have to install "libsmi" to get OIDs displayed
	   symbolically even if you have an SNMP library installed - I
	   don't know whether it can read the MIB files the CMU or UCD
	   SNMP libraries handle.

The GNOME SNMP manager GxSNMP uses it, and there's a "tcpdump" patch to
use it, I think - I saw some discussion of it on the "tcpdump-workers"
mailing list, and the "libsmi" page mentions it as well.