Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] vlan updates and filtered capture

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:08:56 -0800
> Does anybody know whether
>
> 	there's public Cisco documentation for the layout of
> 	protocols such as DISL, VTP, CDP (for which we have a partial
> 	dissector based on looking at packets and reading an Internet
> 	draft for a CDP-derived protocol), and so on
>
> or
>
> 	those analyzer vendors got non-public documentation for them
> 	from Cisco?

AltaVista comes through again!

A search for "VTP frame" found

	http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/trsrb/frames.htm

entitled "Frame Formats".  It *does* contain information on CDP frames,
as well as VTP frames; unfortunately, it doesn't say how those frames
are identified.

A search for the exact phrase "frame format" from

	http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/search.htm

found some other pages that might contain useful information.