Ethereal-dev: RE: [ethereal-dev] vlan updates and filtered capture

From: "Farley, Tim (ISSAtlanta)" <TFarley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:03:30 -0500
>Does anybody know whether
>
>	there's public Cisco documentation for the layout of
>	protocols such as DISL, VTP, CDP (for which we have a partial
>	dissector based on looking at packets and reading an Internet
>	draft for a CDP-derived protocol), and so on

There was documentation for ISL on Cisco's site at one time.  ISL (which I
assume DISL is a variant of) is basically their proprietary solution for
VLAN encapsulation, it predates the 802.1q stuff that Ethereal already
handles.

ISL spec here:

I had a link that looked like the spec for VTP but it appears to be gone.
Here is some general info on VTP:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_4_5/config/v
tp.htm

As for non-public docs that the analyzer vendors get access to....this DOES
occasionally happen.  For instance the NCC Lanalyzer (and later Lanalyzer
for Windows) always did a better job of decoding the Novell protocols
because they had access to internal docs through a relationship with Novell.

However I think some of the analyzer vendors simply reverse-engineer the
packet formats.  Often this is not difficult at all, especially if you have
some technical docs that describe the features of the protocol.

Tim Farley
Software Engineer
tfarley@xxxxxxx

Internet Security Systems, Inc.
(678) 443-6000 / Direct Dial (678) 443-6189 / fax (678) 443-6479
http://www.iss.net

Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise