Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Timestamps and Windows named pipes

From: Nirupama Sankaranarayanan <nirupama76@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I'm picking up packets in Wireshark via a Windows
named pipe. But the timestamps of the packets are all
1-1-1970.

The same packets when put through another proprietary
application show the right time and date. Plus when I
convert the file with the bad timestamp to another
format and then back to pcap, the timestamps are ok.

Any clues? The PC has time zones and everything
configured properly.

It looks to me like it isn't getting the right
timestamps when receiving packets off a named pipe.
Plus the Wireshark source code I went through appears
to not use the time zone field at all when opening a
Windows named pipe. Is this a defect (known/unknown)?

Thanks,
Niru

Be a better friend, newshound, and