Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing local traffic on Windows XP

From: Lars Ruoff <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:45:04 +0200
Hi,
you may also use something like:
> route add 155.132.130.129 mask 255.255.255.255 155.132.130.1 metric 1
where 155.132.130.129 is your local IP, and 155.132.130.1 that of your default gateway.
You must have "Advanced TCP/IP Settings > Automatic metric" disabled!
What it does is basically force each packet intended for localhost to go out to the default gateway first, from which it will come back again.
Of course this means you see each packet twice.

hope it helps,
Lars Ruoff

Marcos Israel Ibarra Arias wrote:

Hi,
I need to capture the traffic of what in linux is the interface lo, but in windows xp on window's ethereal there is not such intefarce to capture and I can't find a way to capture the traffic from localhost.
Can someone help me with this?