Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:25:15 +0100
On 20 September 2013 01:16, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 8, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Similarly on Mac, it would be nice if the macosx-setup.sh script could
> as much as possible be replaced with a set of homebrew packages (or
> some other equivalent).

On OS X and Windows, it would be nice if people doing Wireshark development were not required to install a third-party package manager, but I might be willing to put up with it.

Unfortunately the required environment for building on Windows is not normally available, even on a "developers" machine so using a package manager would really simplify build environment setup for folks.  Chocolatey is a one-line install, and then we could have one other command e.g. cinst wireshark-build-deps to install a "virtual" package that pulls in in everything else that is needed and not already present.

There are 3 phases to getting a successful build on Windows; setting up build environment, retrieving build packages and then build.  Currently we only have manual written instructions for the first part and the second and third are done in a mix of nmake and cygwin shell scripts.  Moving to CMake is an opportunity to rework all of this.

(On OS X and Windows, it would be unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned, to require people to install a third-party package manager in order to *use* Wireshark, so presumably we'll still be *bundling* third-party packages ourselves in the distributed versions.

Definitely.