Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problems with capturing on multiple interfaces

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:57:26 +0200
iHello Michael,

I just tried to do capture on multiple interfaces. dumpcap is suid root.

jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/svn/build> dumpcap -i ppp0  -t
File: /tmp/wireshark_ppp0_20110519185613_vsDXd7
Packets: 2 ^CPackets captured/dropped on interface ppp0: 2/0
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/svn/build> dumpcap -i lo  -t
File: /tmp/wireshark_lo_20110519185621_GFHuue
Packets: 2 ^CPackets captured/dropped on interface lo: 4/0
jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/svn/build> dumpcap -i lo -i ppp0  -t
The capture session could not be initiated (ppp0: You don't have permission to capture on that device (socket: Operation not permitted)).
Please check to make sure you have sufficient permissions, and that you have the proper interface or pipe specified.

Why do I run into a permission problem once I specify more than
one interface?

Ciao
 Jörg