Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] slow startup caused by splash_update?

From: Nathan Jennings <njen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:35:15 -0400
On 4/6/2009 11:24 AM, Jeremy Linton wrote:
Jeff Morriss wrote:
Once Wireshark is up, is it usable [going to Gerald's suggestion]?

Its a little lagy but usable. I wouldn't want to use it all day long, but its ok for intermittent use. My feeling is that its slower than other things running on that machine over X (yast, xterm, emacs, etc). Those are all pretty usable. In those applications the lag is there, but its not bothersome at all. The ping latencies are fairly fast

This may not apply to you, but in my experience we've had slow rendering times due to our Microsoft Windows X servers not supporting anti-aliased font rendering. We worked around this in the past by disabling anti-aliased fonts in GTK.

This was awhile ago... since then we've purchased a Microsoft Windows X server that supports anti-aliased font rendering and been very happy with the performance over SSH.

Do you have "Update list of packets in real-time" enabled? This would exacerbate the issue.

Those example apps you're comparing to may not be drawing at a high enough rate where a comparison is meaningful.

-Nathan