Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Terminating NULL chraracter in RTCP Bye reason string

From: "Vinod M" <vinod7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:53:52 +0530
Hi,

When the RTCP BYE packet has a reason string which is not NULL
terminated ( because the octects in reason along with the reason
length already fills the packet to
the next 32-bit boundary) Wireshark still gives the expert info that
"Reason string is not NULL-terminated (see RFC3550, section 6.6)". But
to me it looks like RFC 3550
is not mandating that all BYE reasons be NULL terminated. Please see
the extract below from section 6.6.

"Optionally, the BYE packet MAY include an 8-bit octet count followed
by that many octets of text indicating
  the reason for leaving, e.g., "camera malfunction" or "RTP loop detected".
  The string has the same encoding as that described for SDES.
  If the string fills the packet to the next 32-bit boundary, the
string is not null terminated."

Please see the attached pcap for a sample RTCP packet for which this
warning is given.  Iam using Version 1.0.2 (SVN Rev 25698).

Regards,
Vinod M