Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Terminating NULL chraracter in RTCP Bye reason string

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:59:54 -0700

On Aug 5, 2008, at 7:23 AM, Vinod M wrote:

"Optionally, the BYE packet MAY include an 8-bit octet count followed
by that many octets of text indicating
the reason for leaving, e.g., "camera malfunction" or "RTP loop detected".
 The string has the same encoding as that described for SDES.
 If the string fills the packet to the next 32-bit boundary, the
string is not null terminated."

It sounds as if whoever wrote RFC 3550 needs to learn the difference between the words "padded" and "terminated" - they probably meant to say that the string is null-*padded* to a 4-byte boundary.