Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Support for source code?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:39:03 -0700

On Sep 26, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Erickson, Bruce [C] wrote:

I have been tasked to find out information regarding the use of
wireshark within our origination. I have been looking thought your
information and I have some questions which I don't see answers in your
FAQ area.

1.) Does wireshark include source code?

Yes:

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.1

"Q 1.1: What is Wireshark?

A: Wireshark® is the world's most popular network protocol analyzer. It has a rich and powerful feature set and runs on most computing platforms including Windows, OS X, Linux, and UNIX. Network professionals, security experts, developers, and educators around the world use it regularly. It is freely available as open source, and is released under the GNU General Public License."

2.) Is wireshark bundled with another application?

Wireshark includes TShark (a command-line application using the same dissectors; it's similar to tcpdump and snoop in its function), and some other tools.

3.) Is there any type of tech support? If so is there a phone number for
tech support?

The only tech support the Wireshark development group offer is "you can ask questions on the wireshark-users or wireshark-dev mailing lists, and they might get answered". :-)

If you want commercial-style support, CACE Technologies (the company that employs the person who created the Wireshark project, back when it was called Ethereal) offers support:

	http://www.cacetech.com/support/sharknet-support.htm

(there might be other companies offering it as well; I don't know).