Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New dissector for TPNCP protocol

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:41:16 +0100
Hi Valery,

Valery Sigalov wrote:
Hello,

I am still waiting for feedback on my submit request. May be the better and proper way is including it in CVN repository?

First of all, thank you for releasing this dissector, writing up the wiki pages, submitting the sample captures, etc. A lot of companies wouldn't release a dissector for their proprietary protocol - so the contribution is much appreciated.

However, like Jaap, the external tpncp.dat file worries me.

First of all, if you're happy for tpncp.dat to be distributed under the GPL, please could it have a copyright header at the top of it saying so?

Secondly, I don't like the idea that someone has to download a file from the wiki to make it work. We don't have a lot of control over what goes on there, and this would effectively sanction whatever happened to be there. What I think would be ok would be if the dissector worked fine "out of the box", and the wiki said "if you want to dissect more recent versions of the TPNCP protocol, download this file". I'd have thought the configuration directory would make more sense than the plugins directory, too. The other maintainers may feel more strongly about this, though... I must say it's not an ideal precedent to be setting.

Finally, please could you follow the advice in the developer's guide for submitting changes (http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChSrcContribute) and submit a complete patch to bugzilla.

Thanks,

Richard