Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug 491 : time delta behaviour

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:48:51 +0800

Sake Blok wrote:
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:59:33PM +0800, Jeff Morriss wrote:
Sake Blok wrote:
1) add another field to incorporate the "Time delta since previous
   frame in the tracefile". This is an option Jeff Morriss suggested
   already.

2) have an option in the "frame" protocol preferences to select the
   behaviour of "frame.time_delta". The default would be to use
   "Time delta since previous displayed frame" and the alternative
   would be "Time delta since previous frame in the trace-file"

Does anyone have another solution for this bug or maybe another idea
for solving it? What would be the prefered way of solving this bug?
(2) sounds confusing to users (1 field with 2 different meanings?). Anyway, fields are cheap so why not just add a new one?

I remember some reluctance when I added the http.x_forwarded_for field, so that's why I thought a preference might do the trick too.

Next question is of course, how will we call this new field?

- frame.time_delta2
- frame.time_delta_file
- frame.time_delta_abs
- frame.time_gap
- frame.time_diff

What about renaming the current field "frame.time_delta_displayed" and name the new one "frame.time_delta"? That changes the current field but it sounds a whole lot more intuitive to me.