Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug 491 : time delta behaviour

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:57:07 +0100
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:59:33PM +0800, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Sake Blok wrote:
> >
> > 1) add another field to incorporate the "Time delta since previous
> >    frame in the tracefile". This is an option Jeff Morriss suggested
> >    already.
> >
> > 2) have an option in the "frame" protocol preferences to select the
> >    behaviour of "frame.time_delta". The default would be to use
> >    "Time delta since previous displayed frame" and the alternative
> >    would be "Time delta since previous frame in the trace-file"
> >
> > Does anyone have another solution for this bug or maybe another idea
> > for solving it? What would be the prefered way of solving this bug?
>
> (2) sounds confusing to users (1 field with 2 different meanings?).
> Anyway, fields are cheap so why not just add a new one?

I remember some reluctance when I added the http.x_forwarded_for
field, so that's why I thought a preference might do the trick too.

Next question is of course, how will we call this new field?

- frame.time_delta2
- frame.time_delta_file
- frame.time_delta_abs
- frame.time_gap
- frame.time_diff

Maybe someone else also has a good option? As I look at them now I
think frame.time_gap looks quite ok.

Cheers,

Sake