Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Repository updates

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:41:45 -0700

On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Yes, and yes.  Right now in the repository root we have:

   /trunk - The repository everyone should be using for development.

Which could be thought of as the equivalent of CVS "top of tree".

   /trunk-0.99.2 - What will eventually be Wireshark 0.99.2.

Would this be something like a CVS branch for a release - i.e., it's not a tag that refers to particular versions of files, it refers to all versions of files on the trunk-0.99.2 "branch", so that fix can be checked into the trunk-0.99.2 repository and an "svn update" in a tree taken from that repository will pick up the fixes?

   /prerelease - Past prereleases.
   /releases - Past releases.

And would items under those be like CVS tags, in that they refer to particular versions of files, i.e. the versions used to build those prereleases and releases? (And would that be purely be agreement, i.e. "don't check in anything there", or can a repository be "frozen" so that you can't accidentally check stuff into it?)

(And is it "prerelease" and "releases", or is it "prereleases" and "releases"?)