Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Repository updates

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:58:41 -0500
Neil Piercy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I follow what has been done to the SVN fine, but I'm still confused
> about what is intended in the future for the separate trunks:
>
> Will a new trunk be produced for every release ?
>
> If so, do they represent a snapshot which is then left frozen ? If not
> frozen, what is the intended maintenance: just major bugs fixes ?

Yes, and yes.  Right now in the repository root we have:

   /trunk - The repository everyone should be using for development.
   /trunk-0.99.2 - What will eventually be Wireshark 0.99.2.
   /prerelease - Past prereleases.
   /releases - Past releases.

/trunk-0.99.2 was copied from /trunk last week.  Once the 0.99.2 release
is made it will be moved to /releases/wireshark-0.99.2.  Some time in
the future we'll start over again by copying /trunk to /trunk-0.99.3.

/trunk is (very) liquid.  /trunk-0.99.2 is semi-frozen.  It only
receives bug fixes from /trunk before the release.  /prerelease and
/releases can be considered frozen.

> If not, should the trunks be "trunk-1.0-stable" etc ? If so, what is the
> intended maintenance:  Cosmetic fixes ? New dissectors ? New capture
> methods ?

For now, there is no intended maintenance.  Fixes and updates should go
in /trunk, and a release will be created some time later.  Once 1.0 is
released, we'll probably leave /trunk-1.0 in place so that bug fix
releases can be created.

> Should patches (for whatever maintenance regime is used) by the non-core
> team be produced as patches against the main trunk only, or all trunks -
> i.e. is the maintenance also community-driven or by the core developers
> taking decisions about which patches to apply to the non-main trunk(s) ?

They should be made against the trunk.  If any backporting is required,
we'll take care of it.  This may change when 1.0 is released.