Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] new user to ethereal - question

From: "Kevin B." <kevin_af@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:10:37 -0400

Hi all! I am a new Ethereal user so please bear with me. I am trying to improve my understanding of networking by listening in to what is going on on my home network with ethereal and analyzing the packets.  I guess the first question I have is does anyone have any good documentation that I can use to help me understand some of what I am looking at?

Also, the problem I am having is that I am seeing a lot of network traffic but only that coming and going on my laptop. I am not able to see any traffic to and from my desktop.

I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG integrated wireless card on my laptop (which is running linux). My desktop is a WinXP machine and has a Linksys Wireless-B PCI Adapter. They are both networked through a Linksys Broadband router w/ 4-port switch (model BEFW11S4 v4).

What am I doing wrong!?

Many thanks in advance!