Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] using ethereal to decode dtap packets

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:26:55 -0700
Williams, Ken wrote:

I am attempting to use ethereal to decode a propriatory trace from one of
out mobile phones.
I have written a script that convets the trace to a hex dump suitable for
the text2pcap program.
I have run the text2pcap program and produced a pcap file.
I have set the gsm dcap setting in the enabled protocols.
Having done this, ethereal will read in the packets and display them. The
problem is that it will not decode them. I just get UNKNOWN WTAP_ENCAP = 1.

What happens if you try to read an ordinary Ethernet capture? (If you don't have any, see

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/SampleCaptures

for some samples.)

You probably ran text2pcap without the "-l" flag, in which case the capture file text2pcap generates is an Ethernet capture. However, neither with a real Ethernet capture nor with the capture you generated should you get a protocol of "UNKNOWN" and an info column of "WTAP_ENCAP = 1" - and you'll probably get that with both captures if you're getting it with one of them.

If you get that error with all captures, did you install a binary distribution of Ethereal, or are you running a version you built from source?

Even if you fix that problem, however, you still won't be able to handle your capture unless it contains traffic of a type the libpcap file format supports - and raw GSM protocols aren't of that type.

You might want to add to Wiretap (the library that comes with Ethereal and that it uses to read capture files) support for that type of raw GSM traffic, and to read the traces your mobile phones generate.