Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] can't capture

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:01:34 +0200
Hanspeter Spalinger wrote:

> Hello to all.
>
> I recently had a reason to use ethereal after not using it for a long
> time (eg. >1 jear).
> In this time it was automticaly updated by my system.
> Oh, yes before i forgett: i have a dual G4 PowerMac with OSX 10.3.9,
> ethereal is installed via fink.
>
> If I now try to capture packets (capture menu->start; first i did a
> capture-> options) it gives me the following error and quits the client:
>
> ** ERROR **: file capture.c: line 89 (capture_start): assertion
> failed: (capture_opts->state == CAPTURE_STOPPED)
> aborting...
> Abort trap
>
> Anyone has a idea whats wrong?

There were some errors with the capturing engine in the 0.10.11 release,
caused by me :-(, which are fixed in the current developer versions.

Unfortunately I don't know if you can use the developer versions with
fink and when a new release will come out.

Several workarounds were suggested on the list, one was to use an
absolute capture file path.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Regards, ULFL