Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] UDP Packets everywhere

From: Steven Masters <Steven.Masters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:19:01 -0400
Destination :   232.47.16.89   (always) is www.sonomawireless.com. I use
this site a lot for port info
http://www.sonomawireless.com/~ports/port40000-.html
47713 is a port not normally used

  47625-47805
                                              tcp/udp
                                                                        #
       Unassigned

http://www.sonomawireless.com/~ports/port1024-1199.html
1117 is ardus-mtrns or ARDUS Multicast Transfer

  1117
                tcp/udp
                                  ardus-mtrns
                                                            ARDUS Multicast
                                                            Transfer

ARDUS Automatic Retrieval Deletion Update System
SharewareSoft rating for ARDUS Automatic Retrieval Deletion Update System
Author Company:
Dwight Rutledge Development Services

Description :

ARDUS Automatic Retrieval Deletion Update System - The ARDUS system comes
in 2 flavors - The Desktop Edition and the Client/Server Edition. The
Client/Server Edition is a MTS component while the Desktop Version is a
custom Dynamic Link Library (DLL). It is designed to provide all the data
access functions you require. It returns records, can retrieve single
values such as counts or anything similar to the DFunctions of Microsoft
Access. ARDUS Also removes the need to hardcode connection strings to any
SQL Server Database.

Steve Masters
Network Analyst, Senior
(w) 717-240-5561
(c) 717-385-4829
steven.masters@xxxxxxxxxxxx

             Paul.White@bathur
             st.nsw.gov.au
             ethereal-users-bo         ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             unces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Ethereal-users] UDP Packets
             05/31/2005 10:01          everywhere
             PM

             Please respond to
               Ethereal user
                  support
             <ethereal-users@e
               thereal.com>

Hi all.. I am new to Ethereal so please excuse my lack of knowledge.  I am
also unsure if this is the right list for this kind of question, if not can
someone point me in the right direction??

A slow network lead me to install Ethereal and see if it could find the
problem.  When I did the first capture I saw 70% UDP packets all of which
looked like the following:-

Source  :   10.0.xxx.xxx  (most PCs on our network)

Destination :   232.47.16.89   (always)

Protocol :   UDP

Source port :  1117 (appears to be random, not always 1117)

Destination port :  47713  (always)

Length 71

Can anyone help?  I have slowed it a bit by implementing filtering on our
switch but while that stops the broadcasts it still slows the PCs.  No
viruses or spyware found either.

I have attached a text file with 2 packets exported from Ethereal.

Thanks

Paul *****************************************************************
"This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of Bathurst
Regional Council, unless otherwise stated. For the purposes of the
Copyright Act, the permission of the holder of copyright in this
communication may be taken to have been granted, unless stated otherwise,
for the copying or forwarding of this message, as long as both the content
of this communication and the purpose for which it is copied or forwarded
are work related."