Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Personal Configuration File location

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:20:37 -0700
Joren, Sandon wrote:

Yes, I had thought about modifying the %APPDATA% environment
variable.
However, I have proved that will not work in my environment. By changing
that system variable, I break other applications that utilize the
%APPDATA% directory. The optimum solution, IMHO, would be to have a
setting under preferences that would allow me to specify a directory for
my personal configuration files. I was kind of hoping that Ethereal used
some sort of registry entry that I could modify.

What's a "registry entry"? I haven't seen anything about that on the FreeBSD or Mac OS X machines on which I run Ethereal. :-)

More to the point, presumably there are other Windows applications where you might use the application on multiple machines, and where you want the configuration settings to follow you from machine to machine. Is there a general mechanism that's used for this on Windows? If so, Ethereal, on Windows, should presumably use that. (Is that what "roaming profiles" are intended to provide?)