Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Question about 3rd pane

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:58:58 +0200
Martin, Danny R. wrote:

> Dear Ethereal Users Support:
>      I'm new to Ethereal and programming packets.  So, please excuse
> my question. I'm trying to analyze UDP packets with mixed data in the
> data area with the 3rd pane.  My question, "Is there an option to
> display or export the 3rd pane in int long float and double, beside
> hex and ascii?

No, that's what the 2nd pane is for.

You might consider writing dissectors for the protocols you use, as this
would be the clean solution. It's not too difficult if you know
programming in ANSI C.

It would be difficult (and annoying in usability terms) to "mask" data
in the 3rd pane, as you would have to know: data type, byte ordering,
length of int (int can have 32 or 64 bits on the platforms we support), ...

Regards, ULFL