Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] unable to bind/capture to any interface

From: "John Whitlow" <jwhitlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:45:15 -0400

Hello,

Ethereal recognizes my laptop interfaces, but will not capture anything, even in promiscuous mode.

I have a Thinkpad T42 with wireless and 10/100/1000 ethernet.  I do have some weird things that happens when I enter ipconfig in a DOS window; it does not display any interface statistics, and says that there is some unknown error.  I am typically working wireless only, so I went in to the interface configuration and changed the Ethernet link negotiation and re-enter the ipconfig command.  At this point, I am seeing ip interface configuration information, and I do not receive an error.  This ability seems to arbitrarily disappear, and I have to again change the state of the Ethernet link negotiation to make it work again.

No matter if I am getting and error or not with ipconfig, Ethereal is still unable to capture information.  I have also tried changing the monitored interface to that specifically for the wireless, but even after doing this, it still doesn’t work.

System information:

IBM T42

Windows XP Professional SP2

Accton Technology Corporation

            11 a/b/g Mini Wireless adaptor

            PCI Slot 1 (PCI bus 2, device 2, function 0)

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Mobile Connection

            PCI bus 2, device 1, function 0

Thanks,

John